Harley Quinn #0 review

Harley Quinn, erstwhile girlfriend of the Joker and current Suicide Squad member, is dreaming. Dreaming of the comic book she might have, and the artists who might draw her - who would best capture her mischievous magnificence? Tony Daniel? Becky Cloonan? Art Baltazar? Any one of the other 14 artists on this teaser for the upcoming Harley Quinn series written by coupled creators Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti?

You can see all their names on the cover above, and not one page disappoints - just look at some of this stuff:
Walt Simonson
Art Baltazar
                                     
Dan Panosian
The only name you'll likely not recognise is Jeremy Roberts, who won DC's infamous tryout contest and the chance to draw a page. His Harley is a little too posed, but the lad's new, and will hopefully loosen up as he gets more assignments - he's closing off the Stormwatch series with #30 (I assume that one's set in a clinic in Switzerland).
Jeremy Roberts
Otherwise, it's seasoned pros all the way, illustrating the fresh prose of Palmiotti and Conner, who spend most of the issue as disembodied voices chatting to a fourth-wall breaking Harley, before eventually getting dragged into the action.
Darwyn Cooke
As an old She-Hulk and Ambush Bug fan, I got a huge kick out of this issue. Rather than the sleazy murderess of DC's New 52 revamp, we have a Harley akin to the delightful nutter created by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, the latter of whom draws the psycho psychiatrix here. There's joshing at the expense of Palmiotti's other DC titles, a clever Jim Lee gag, the return of the Tiny Titans prior to their book's coming uncancellation, and lots more fun.

And as a fan of different visual takes on characters, this comic is a dream. Not keen on one Harley? Turn the page and there's another.

I don't know if the regular series will be as much fun as this, but Conner, Palmiotti, their army of artists and, of course, Harley have convinced me to put my prejudices aside and give it a try.

Comments

  1. Actually, Stormwatch kicks the bucket in April with #30. But that's besides the point.

    This was a glorious issue to me (I handed it a 9.5 over on AiPT). The complete and utter opposite of DC's dark and grim outlook on most of their books, with a bright and colorful world with humor and an upbeat vibe to it. Sure, it's a dream, but dang it, it's just so nice regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta for the correction, IG! Fixed now, I'm off to read your review ...

      Delete
  2. I wanted to like it, and I probably would have loved it, but I can't stand Harley's ugly-ass new52 look. as you say, the art through-out is lovely, but the awful character design puts a mocker on it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't blame you, Joe. I have a feeling the classic will be back within a year or two, with its appearance this time just the beginning.

      Delete
    2. I for one love the classic look myself it just works

      Delete
  3. Oh, damn, after reading your positive review and viewing some of the examples of the great artwork inside, now I'm probably going to have to buy this. Looks like a lot of fun... wait, is fun even allowed in the New 52? We will have to wait & see how the actual ongoing series plays out, of course. At least Harley's look was modified somewhat away from that demented clown dominatrix redesign to something a bit more comedic and akin to her classic costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll not regret it, Ben, it's a great-looking, fun comic.

      Delete
  4. I loved this book.

    It felt back to Harley's roots of silly and fun and irreverant.

    Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I enjoyed the comic too. I think too much Fourth Wall smashing would get old fast (Harley promises to stop it), but this was fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the regular title will keep that final wall up.

      Delete
  7. I love how DC runs a talent search for 'New, Undiscovered Talent', but then just makes the winner a guy who has been working for them and other publishers for the past 10 years.

    Totally legit contest, that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment